Learner Reviews

Learner Review 1
"For some time I have been attending the drop-in sessions at Neath Library and have found all staff and most volunteers very helpful, kind and knowledgeable.  I must explain that I am almost 80yrs young, disabled and deaf.  I have not been discriminated against in any way, and everyone - library staff as well as I.T. personnel have gone out of their way to accommodate my needs and shown patience with my loss of hearing, willingly repeating the conversation when I have not heard or lip read.

Emails are my main form of communication as I cannot hear conversations accurately on the phone, as with a number of other people in my situation, it is not only the loudness and tone, but also most importantly the clarity to me as my brain processes words etc.

I have had help mastering a number of things on my iPhone which is a great problem to me and impossible for me to solve sometimes as some broadband providers will only deal with phone queries, as do some domestic service providers and I go round in circles as I am sent round  trying to connect with them.  I do get frustrated but always feel better having attended the session, discussed my problem and frequently found a satisfactory solution.  Passwords for my phone have been problematical but the patience of Amanda, Liam briefly (saw him once, was absent for some weeks with ill health, and happily for him he found employment.)  Yesterday J was excellent explained things extremely well and my Apple Air Book is working this morning.  Unfortunately my iPhone has reverted to it’s old tricks, but I shall return next week.  I have had problems before, visited the store I bought it and the store whose sim card I use - neither have been helpful, the one refusing to help and the other handing the phone back saying ‘I can do nothing with it’ - the end result of that was worse than when I went there!  I did have it sorted by a Cardiff store where I bought my Apple.

I recount my personal experience and problems to indicate how VITAL the I.T. service is to people like me - we do not have the advantage of the present young generation who learn even before walking and always have a family member/teacher to right the wrong - and no fear of pressing the wrong button.

I must commend Stewart for his understanding of my problems with one volunteer when things went wrong.  I had good relationship, and still have, with that person, spoke with him initially and then told Stuart about it.  Stewart was supportive and still is as I struggle with help to manage the ongoing iPhone problems.  My Apple Air is working today.

This is not a complaint but an ENDORSEMENT of the GOOD SERVICE not only when all is running smoothly but also when things go wrong.  I think it is  excellent for the volunteers too - I have seen some gain so much in confidence and people skills as well as competence in their I.T. as they have training.

Thank you for all the help and kind treatment I have received, it has helped me manage my conditions, relieving my anxieties and social contact."

Kay Coleman.   3.6.16.                  



Learner Review 2

Caroline is a widow and is 51 years old and lives in Tonna , Neath. Caroline has been unemployed for three months.

Coming regular to Techie Taster course in Neath library has built her confidence to use a computer. Before Caroline came on the course she was terrified of the computer and did not know what to do. With having support off the staff and volunteers has now been able to do job search online, written CV , covering letter, fill in application forms and play games online.

Caroline has gone to every computer drop in session in her postcode area with the aim of improving her computer skills. Caroline shared that the computer dropping sessions has been very helpful and a good learning curve.

Caroline has been successful in getting employment as a carer. She shared that when she is able to with her shift pattern that she will still like to come to the Techie Taster in Neath Library on Thursday to keep up with her computer skills.


Learner Review 3

This is Ceri story of her experience of attending a computer class in Neath Library

"When I went to the Job Centre it was suggested to me to go to Neath Library computer centre to gain confidence in order to order to do some volunteer work as they thought I would not be able to find a job.

I thought it was a good idea as I live by myself and the way it is going everybody one day all need to know about computers.

The advantage of Neath Library computer centre is that you can ask to do what you need rather than being told. Also if I have problems I can go down any week day to the centre for help with the computer rather than sit and worry about it at home. It is also free.

I find everybody very friendly and helpful and nothing is too much trouble for them. I now think of this as a social occasion as well as a place to learn. It is giving me a lot more confidence, as before I was afraid to put the computer on, but now I will not only put it on , I will browse the internet at home by myself.

I have now learnt how to do emails and some family members have given me their email addresses as I can keep practicing in order not to forget. At the moment I am learning about word processing, how to save my work (as yet I am not very fast) and then how to print it out. I am now looking for certain things instead of just browsing the internet.

 I hope to start shopping on the internet in order to food shopping on line in case i am ill.

The centre is very popular. There are a lot of people who come in order to use the computer to help find jobs and apply for them. There are also a few people like myself who are there to learn computers.

I hope to keep going in the future because to me I am not only learning about computers, but I am enjoying it as well."


Learner Review 4


John Smith is a 79 year old retired Policeman, who has had very limited use of computers and new technology. 

After his retirement John felt he needed to enrol on a computer class to make sure he wasn’t left behind and to improve his confidence in using new technology and gain greater knowledge of global events by using the World Wide Web.

As an active member of the Neath YMCA gym John was excited when a new computer class started at the centre.  He enrolled and was delighted to find that the class was very well equipped with staff and volunteers who could give him 1:1 support.

John was so impressed with his first session; he went home and told his wife Anne, who then joined the class to have some help and tuition on her new HUDL.

Rather than using practice tasks, John wanted to be able to use technology to his advantage. Armed with his healthy contact list and correspondence from ongoing projects, John was able to practise using emails for real issues such as:-

  • ·   Addressing local authority members regarding planning applications affecting his village,
  • ·         Enquiring to a specific hotel about an upcoming holiday,
  • ·         Correspondence between Assembly Members
  • ·         Keeping in contact with family and friends.


To add to this both John and Anne are now confident Online when searching for Theatre and Cinema tickets and keeping up to date with the latest sporting results.
 
John is an active individual who would like to spend more time on the computer but having such a busy retirement he doesn’t have the time, so he sets aside 2 hours a week for his class to ensure he fits it in.

John is a happy member of the class who not only enjoys the content of the course but also the social aspect of the group.  He engages with all staff and gives new members a warm welcome.

John says:-

“YMCA is a good venue for the people of Neath. The I.T. class brings in lots of different people and they can see what else is on offer at the centre.
The good relationship between teachers and learners makes a happy class. 

May long it continue”


Learner Review 5

Having bought an iPad in June 2014 and not really understanding much about it, in January 2015 Iestyn and Jill decided to attend an I.T. class where they could learn more about their iPad and improve their knowledge of using programs on their desktop computer at home.

Having attended one session at Neath Library they decided to attend the class at Neath YMCA. In this class they were given 1:1 support and as the environment was relaxed they felt comfortable to ask questions and complete tasks there were interested in.

They found the handouts provided by the tutor gave them step by step instructions so that they could practice at home thus building on skills learned in session.

They both enjoy attending the class and are eager to ask about topics they have researched at home.
So far they have learned how to:

  • ·         Download Apps.
  • ·         Use Facebook.
  • ·         Take photos on the iPad.
  • ·         Create funky prints with their photos.
  • ·         Download photos from email.
  • ·         Make folders on the iPad.
  • ·         Use Spotify .
  • ·         Create playlists.


As Jill enjoys cooking, she was keen to download recipes but was worried about the iPad being untidy.  Through a group demonstration of how to make folders their iPad is now categorised with neat folders for all their Apps.

The couple are delighted to be confident enough to send emails to family and to be able to download, save and print attachments within received emails.

Iestyn and Jill had attended a Computers for the Terrified course which they enjoyed but much prefer the individual tailored support offered by the Get NPT Online project.

They now have more confidence to search online and are happy to be keeping up to date with technology. 


Learner Review 6

David is 59 years old and lives in Skewen and at present is working as a lollipop man, but is looking for further employment. He has been attending regularly to the YMCA job club with his wife, since it started in February this year. He was previously made redundant.

When he first came here he was unable to use a mouse or keyboard but since coming here and with the support of the staff, it has built up his confidence on the computer. He was sent by the job centre to learn basic computer skills and is glad he came.

David has opened up an email account and has written three CV’s, a covering letter which he has stored on his memory stick. He regularly does his job search here.

Coming to the job club has encouraged him to buy a laptop and his daughter has helped him use the laptop to look at pictures in America of where his brother lives.

David uses the computer to go on the internet to look at his hobbies and has got an eBay account which he has used to purchase a car,


David in the future is looking at starting a computer course in the YMCA in September.


Learner Review 7

Susan is 62 years old and lives Skewen and works part time but needs to get another job to extend her hours. She has been attending the job club in the Neath YMCA since February with her husband David.

Although Susan did a computer course a couple of years ago was still not confident to use a computer and felt unsure of what to do. Coming to the job club and being among people who are in the similar position as herself, has made her not feel so isolated. She feels when she comes here because of the support shown by the staff, feels able to ask for help on things she has forgotten a lot easier.

Susan feels that working among other learners ,helps her learn more easily .Coming here has motivated her to buy a laptop which she users at home to do job searches. Susan is now thinking of doing further computer classes in September. 


Learner Review 7


Robert is 54 years old and lives in Neath Port Talbot area and used to work for the local council as a litter picker, ground worker which involved gardening in park environment but due to ill health became unemployed. Robert shared that he had previously had experience of using word, excel but did not know about the internet.

Since April this year Robert has attended the Port Talbot Library to do a refresher course on computers. Since coming there has learnt how to write a CV, covering letter, do a job search, open a Gmail account and use the internet.

Robert has been encouraged to use a learning course to improve his computer skills called Learn My Way. He has managed to complete the course work and has found the learning tool helpful because he could listen to the audio on the course. Robert shared that he has a dongle which gives internet access at home and helps him continue the course work and communicate with his friends on his computer.


Robert enjoys coming to the job club because he finds the staff very helpful and supportive.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Volunteer Hours/Certificates (Updated 14/11/2017)

Job Vacancy (MCC/Admin2017)